Wednesday, July 23, 2014

"It Takes A Huge Effort To Free Yourself From Memory" (Reader Question)

Question: I didn't get any closure from my relationship. I knew it needed to end, but I didn't want it to be like that. How are you moving on so easily? Did you get closure? 

The other day I was going through an old notebook of mine that had some stuff I needed to copy over to my laptop & I found this short poem I started:

To call him my boyfriend would denounce how amazing of a man he is.
To call him my man would not capture the beauty that his free spirit exudes.
To title him is to limit him.
He & the power he posses is limitless. 

I didn't need to title it to know that I wrote that for him, and that immediately brought on a bunch of feelings that I had been doing a great job of repressing. 

Finding poems like these take me back to a time when he and I were good. Times when I felt like we were on the same page - almost like we wanted the same things. He'll cross my mind for longer than I had hoped for and I'll wonder if I cross his mind the same way too. 

Like you, I thought it was from not having any real closure. I thought it was because though I had shared so much love and kind words with him for so long for our last serious encounter to be so cold and hateful that I needed something more out of a final situation with him. 

Now, in a previous reader question I mention the importance of having a good support system through your break up. You know, a friend you can call and vent with, or someone who you can talk to about anything. Thank God for mine! I always tell her about these strange little flood of emotions that still come to me from time to time and she will slap me right back to reality with the truth. He didn't care about me & that's why we are in the position that we're in now; it's that simple. 

I love him. Hell, I'll always love him, and that's ok. But, I also have to accept the fact that we are just not meant to be together.

Moral of the Story: Like the four line poem above and a few of my stories that end up only being short stories, some things are not meant to be long and drawn out. It was good while it lasted, but it's over now. Accepting that fact is the only closure you'll ever really need. 

2 comments:

  1. you are amazing!!! thank you for writing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2015 ChasingABabyAndADream.Com