Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Reader Question: Is it just me, or do you ever get the feeling like you’re doing this parenting thing wrong?

I know I can write, I know I can NOT sing, but I will rock the hell out of a karaoke stage anyway; I’m as confident about those things as I am that the sky is blue. 

At work stats gauge your performance, but sadly there is no way to guarantee that we’re doing a great job as parents – or is there?

Khloe is my mini me; she has my temperament, my smart mouth, and my outgoing attitude (that’s what scares me the most. It’s not like the world needs another me running around). Recently, however, I had the chance of finding out that it isn’t so much of a bad thing after all.

The other day when I dropped her off at school, her class was already outside on the playground. On my way to leave, I heard a few of the girls I usually see Khloe playing with saying some pretty nasty things about one of the girl’s new hairstyle. I had to see for myself just how she would respond, so I kept the door slightly cracked to see what would happen.

“Stop,” she firmly interjected after she joined them and heard what was going on. “I like her hair. It gives her character.”
The kids gave her a perplexed look for a moment before one girl finally asked her, “What does character mean?”
“I don’t really know,” she responded, “But I know my mom says that my chipped tooth and her gap give us character. It makes us special because we’re different then everyone else; it’s a good thing.”

“I want character,” another little girl spoke up.

“You have character just from being you. Mommy says it’s better to be weird than to be boring like everyone else.”
I smiled, closed the door, and gave myself a huge freaking pat on the back because at that moment I was positive that I had earned it. Even though that feisty tongue gets her in trouble when her stubbornness causes her to challenge an order I’ve given her, she knew how to use it when it was needed the most.

So to answer your question: Yes I lack confidence in my parenting ability, but my awesome kid reminds me that even when I’m unsure in something or making a mistake, there is still an opportunity for great things to happen.
Trust your motherly instinct, and listen to your child; the rest will work itself out.
xoxo 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 ChasingABabyAndADream.Com