Monday, November 03, 2014

LIFE : a Short Story by Keaidy Bennett



After this super busy weekend, I feel so recharged and ready to go! I just have so many wild ideas and stories running through my head. It's too bad that the way I support my kid and I seems to cut into my creative vibe when I feel like this. 

The only thing I wish people understood about artists, is that when we feel inspired we cannot ignore our body's natural urge to create. While those who appreciate my work also appreciate my dedication, I'm sure my employer hates when my mind finally wins the battle. That's because my sword and I work feverishly to take these stories out of my head and on to paper even if that means I'm not as productive as I should be.

Anyways, this story was incessant today. I knew from how nasty my attitude changed for the worst by mid morning that I needed to get this thing out of me, so here it is. 


*************************** 


I can’t believe I’m spending another day of my life in this hell hole. 

What could I possibly have done in a past life to deserve this? I’m impatiently waiting for these four walls to one day close in on me so I could finally be put out of my misery. That seems to be the only relief I find in this endless cycle.

I spend most of my days on lock down like some kind of animal. I’m told when to eat, and I constantly have eyes on me. I can’t even take a shit or entertain a complete thought without someone knowing about it.

“Get out of the clouds 3375907, and get to work,” the guard who was so well trained that she was practically robotic screamed out at me. “Your job isn’t going to do itself,” the rude bitch had the nerve to add.

As you can see, I’m not even afforded the luxury of respect around this place. They honestly seem to think that just because I made a few mistakes in my life that I’m no longer deserving of my dignity. I guess that’s why I’m known by a number, I’m told when I’m allowed to do anything, and I’m only given little samples of freedom when they think I deserve it. I really fucking hate this place

“Yo Johnson,” my cellmate whispered loudly causing me to snap out of my reoccurring day dream where I finally bust out of here. “Don’t sweat that broad. She’s just salty about some shit that I just heard. I’ll drop the 411 once we’re out on the yard.” 3390917, Sonya Ortiz, is as sarcastic as she is old. Don’t ask her how old she is though because she’ll just use that as an excuse to start beefing with you. Don’t even bother trying to guess on your own because every time you think you have figured out how old she is she’ll just introduce you to a slang term from a different century and leave you confused all over again. Regardless of how crazy she is, I appreciate her energy since it seems to be the only light in this dark place. While she has many enjoyable qualities, she also has her not so great ones. She always craves things that she shouldn’t have and that addiction causes her to go to extreme measures to get what she wants no matter the cost. Unfortunately for her, her envy keeps her enslaved in this same system I’m stuck in. That is the good part for me since I can’t imagine a day in here without her wild, cynical humor.
        
“What ya’ll busy whispering about,” Robocop shouted out interrupting our brief peace. “Didn’t I tell ya’ll to get busy?”
        
Yes you sure did. As if our lives are not pathetic enough, we're forced to listen to you say the same things all day every day. I’m starting to believe it’s the only thing you’re capable of doing with your life. Oh how I long for the day when I’ll never have to hear those words or see your face ever again.
        
As if the universe wanted to reward me with a little hope and relief, a dispute cause Porky to have to harass someone else for a change.
        
“I don’t know why that bitch is always trying to read you so hard, but I can’t wait until you finally snap and give her the business. She is long overdue to be checked,” 3350154, Paris Sparkle, added quickly as she walked back to her cell. Of course being as fierce and fabulous as she is, she had to make her exit just as dramatic. “We’re almost free since it’s about to be time for lunch. I’ll give you all of my desert if you treat that hoe with a well-deserved punch,” she sang softly before erupting into laughter.
        
Yes, Paris Sparkle is really her name. After she finally transitioned from a man to the natural queen that she was born to be, that was the name she chose for herself. While I don’t agree with why out of all of the names in the world she would have chosen that one, I don’t have to answer to it so I don’t see why anyone else gives a damn .
        
“Sit down, shut up, and get to work,” the pig shouted out form across the end of the hall. 

Even though I was stuck in these bleak  four walls, I could imagine her expression as she looked at Sparkle in disgust like she always did. I even overheard her mumble things like “ queer” and “fag” under her breath when the fierce queen herself would parade by as if she were walking a New York runway. One day I was curious enough to ask her why she seemed to be so repulsed by a human who decided to be free enough to live a life she truly loved, and she responded frankly, “It’s against my beliefs.” Honestly, I think it’s just because without any effort Sparkle makes a better woman than the pig who was actually born one.
       
 “Mira, Johnson,” Ortiz said to get my attention again. “The queen is right. That puta does seem to have it out for you even more now than before. What’s up?”

“Nothing,” I lied like I did every time they asked me that question. Although I get along well with all of the prisoners on my block, I’m no dummy. I know these people live for drama and gossip, and they will not get any information for their issues from me. I, Kimberly Johnson, am too smart for that, so I keep my secrets with the only person I trust – myself.
        
Truthfully, Senora Bacon and I grew up together. Growing up I was always more popular and respected then her from our neighborhood friends even up to when I became the captain of our step, basketball, and dance teams. I always used to brag that I was a boss, and now that she is one when it actually matters she never misses an opportunity to flex her powers around here. I really fucking hate that bitch.
        
I’m honestly not a bad or hateful person, I just made some really poor choices and that’s why I’m where I am at this point in my life. As a part of my spiritual growth, I acknowledge my responsibility in my own demise, and I'm working as diligently as I can to change it. Regardless of that fact, I really fucking hate this point in my life.
        
Anyways, I create stories to help keep my mind off of the hell that I’m stuck in. I know it sounds insane, but I hope that one day all of these words that I put together can somehow create the key that saves me from this place. A woman can dream right?
        
“Line up for lunch,” Porky squealed out. “I’m starting your timer for your break now!” That was nothing new. She always found some way to squeeze undeserving time out of us, but who can you complain to when all of these pigs looked out for one another?
        
I lined up to rush and enjoy my much need date with Mother Nature. I can’t get enough of how romantic it is when she courts me. Her warmth and the feeling of her presence on my skin is enough to recharge me and give me life. Sadly that feeling doesn't last once I’m restricted back to those four dreary walls that seem to take pleasure in sucking it out of me again.
        

The thought of dancing with freedom was enough to spark my small creative flame into a full-fledged inferno, and the words running through my mind began to tango beautifully together.

Like a kid on Christmas, I'm anxious from the excitement
Your presence alone is enough to seriously brighten
My day, my night, and my life.
I yearn for each moment I get to see, hear, feel, smell or taste you.

Before I got a chance to complete my thought, Ortiz interrupts me as we sit down to eat lunch.

“So rumor has it that Porky’s man was caught poking one of the inmates, and you know what that means,” she continued to ramble on not even bothering to take a bite of the food she claimed to have wanted so desperately just a few minutes ago.

“Bitch yes,” Sparkle interjected joyfully. “That means he has got to go, and she gets to be tortured while we give her nothing by shade while she’s stuck with us. Oh thank you Lord for Ortiz spilling this tea. This just made my whole life complete.”


The two women kept talking while I would throw in an, “uh huh,” or “wow,” every now and then just so they thought I was paying any attention to their cattiness. That was until I could no longer ignore my mind’s request to finish the dance of words it was longing to get back to.

I yearn for each moment I get to see, hear, feel, smell, or taste you.
I need your touch.
The freedom I feel in your brief embrace gives me hope that this will one day grow from some silly affair
That only happens here and there
To something more

“Hello,” Sparkle said as she frantically waved her arms in front of my face to get my attention. “Did you hear anything that I just said?”

I was honest, and just shook my head no.

“I wonder who the hell his dingy, dirty, raggedy ass was creeping with.”

“Oh yeah, me too,” I lied as I tried to sound interested in their conversation.

“I bet it was Jessica,” Sparkle suggested. “The way that big booty bitch has been singing and skipping around here so cheerfully just screams that she’s been getting some new dick.”

“I second that,” Ortiz chimed in. “That jive turkey has been so busy trying to sew her oats from the moment I met her. She's suck a fucking harlot.”

“Uh huh,” I added hoping they wouldn’t feel me slipping out of their boring world back into the universe I wish I could spend all of my time in.

Ortiz spit out a few more of her outdated slang terms, and Sparkle seemed to be eating it all up, so I thought I was safe to make a quick mental escape.


The freedom I feel in your brief embrace gives me hope that this will one day grow from some silly affair
That only happens here and there
To something more.
 I need that.
I need that as much as I need your essence that leaves me hypnotized.
And I need that as much as-," 

“Damn bitch you actin’ like a true bum today since you’re acting like you’re too broke to afford to pay attention. What’s got you so distracted that you can’t enjoy these last few moments with us?”

Sparkle’s question struck fear in me as I frantically searched for the clock above the door that confirmed that my date with freedom and Mother Nature was in fact damn near over.

 “Nothing,” I lied again. “I just enjoy hearing what you two clowns think about the situation.”

“Well what you think about it,” Sparkle asked me with wide eyes as she sat on the edge of her seat for my response.

I don’t care at all, I forced myself to swallow every time I opened my mouth. However, since only God knows how long I’m actually stuck with these people I can’t answer them how I really want to.

“I think Porky is coming over here to rain on our parade,” I finally respond.

As if she had heard my statement, she screamed for everyone to line up for another count before we made our way back to our cells.


Once we reached our destination, I was relieved that Ortiz didn’t want to talk anymore. I think she was exhausted from spending our longest break running her mouth like the Boston marathon. Whatever her reasoning for finally being quiet, I was just thrilled to be all alone with my thoughts.

Like a kid on Christmas, I'm anxious from the excitement
Your presence alone is enough to seriously brighten
My day, my night, and my life.
I yearn for each moment I get to see, hear, feel, smell, or taste you.

I need your touch.          
The freedom I feel in your brief embrace gives me hope that this will one day grow from some silly affair
That only happens here and there
To something much more.

I need that.
I need that as much as I need your essence that leaves me hypnotized.
And I need that as much as I need the air that you provide.

I need you.
While your existence only presents itself to me in short bursts
The reality that I'll one day be free gives what I do daily worth.
Until I'm able to see you again
My friend
Every part of me will be aching to be reunited with you
And your skies that you seem to always keep well tidy and blue
Every part of me will be lusting for the feel of your breeze
That touch that only you can provide to leave me weak in the knees

Every part of me will be trapped in hell until your presence frees me once more.                                                                                                                   
I threw my head back in a fit of evil laughter. It was the sound a beast makes once it’s conquered the wild words that were running rampant in the poor writer’s mind.

My moment of victory was interrupted as Porky’s lips gifted my ears with a surprise treat.

“Lights out,” is what I heard even though her lips had just told everyone to clock out. “I’ll see you all back here bright an early for another day of work,” she grinned what I perceived to be a defeating smile.

Ugh. Please don’t remind me. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 ChasingABabyAndADream.Com